Thursday, February 25, 2010

Frugal Home Ideas

With every bit of motivation and excitement, I purchased those white canvases with the hopes of creating something unique and creative for my home.  Forget it - life got it in the way. Fortunately, my Maggie helped me out with a few, but I still have some collecting dust  in my basement.  Here's a fantastic idea from

www.frugalhomeideas.blogspot.com

just a note: I've used those paint can sprayer/holder - they really do work!


I saw this idea in a Lowes Creative Ideas magazine and thought it was amazing.  I wish I had thought of it myself!


In the Lowes magazine, they used high quality stainable wood boards.  I opted for the more economical canvases:

Step 1. Paint your canvas that you got at JoAnne's for 50% off of $15.99 (or at least pretend like you're painting it because you forgot to get a picture of actually painting it. Don't forget your fake candid picture smile!)



2. Step 2- Align your rubber doormat that you got at Target for $19.99 on top of the canvas. The Doormat was slightly bigger than the canvas, so we taped off the outside border from the back.



Step 3. Apply your really cool $3.99 make-a-gun out of your spray paint can thingy (don't worry dad, it's not a real gun)


Step 4. Apply quick thin coats of spray paint


Step Five: Lift your doormat stencil off the canvas to reveal a BEAUTIFUL piece of art. Swoon.


Although I was originally planning on doing 4 of these, like I pictured here:


I decided on 3 because you're supposed to do things in odd numbers in design. It's a rule, I didn't make it up - but I think I might want to do 4 after all.  What do you think?








No comments:

Post a Comment